Rebuking Planned Parenthood’s Attempt to Use the Bible to Justify Abortion
Remember that awful “pastoral letter” that Planned Parenthood sent to their supporters? It was supposed to let them know that clergy support abortion and the Bible and God are play with abortion. Just the thought of such a letter makes me angry. To try to use the Bible to coerce people into believing abortion is morally or biblically acceptable is a sin that is hard to move past.
LifeNews has posted an article intended to combat the efforts of Planned Parenthood to deceive people. Using sound biblical exegesis, Brad Mattes, the author of the article and president of Life Issues Institute, has soundly rebuked Planed Parenthood with a proper understanding of what the Bible teaches regarding life.
I encourage you to read the article, posted below, and share it with others that might be unsure of what the Bible teaches.
Planned Parenthood likes to act as an authority on many things—sexuality, so-called “reproductive rights” and preventing pregnancy. However, their latest claim is beyond absurd. They’re now making statements as a religious authority on abortion. And if you guessed they’re now saying, “Abortion is an evil sin that hurts women and babies, so we’re closing our doors,” you’d be wrong.
In a Pastoral Letter to Patients issued from the Clergy Advocacy Board by Planned Parenthood Federation of America, it states:
“The decision to have an abortion is personal. As religious leaders from a number of religious traditions, we’re here to support you in your decision.”
“Many people wrongly assume that all religious leaders disapprove of abortion.”
“The truth is that abortion is not even mentioned in the Scriptures.”
“No one should be allowed to force their faith teachings on anyone else.”
Science and morality are the two strongest defenses against abortion. This letter is Planned Parenthood’s attempt to nullify a woman’s conscience and misconstrue abortion as morally right. And sadly, there are churches who are eager and willing accomplices that permit and even promote abortion as acceptable or a sacred right.
In order to counter such corrupt influences, you and I must know what the Bible truly says about the sanctity of life.
- God is the creator of life. — “So God created man in his own image.” Gen. 1:27
- God creates and fashions life within the womb. — “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13
- Children are a gift from the Lord. — “Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.” Psalm 127:3
- The unborn are treated as persons in the Bible. — “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you were born I set you apart.” Jer. 1:5
- God forbids the taking of human life. — “You shall not murder.” Exodus 20:13
Christians must be willing to have a conversation with their church leadership and ask them to address the issue of abortion. Here’s a key step. Provide resources that’ll inform them of the importance of the topic and give practical tools that prepare churches to cut through the controversy and be a voice for life.
Here are some I recommend:
- In an episode of Facing Life Head-On, I met with church leaders on both sides of the abortion issue. This gives a full perspective, as each side explains their views in the eye-opening episode, “Abortion and the Church.” I encourage you to watch, share the program and purchase a DVD for your church leaders.
- We host a collection of Scriptures, Bible studies and sermons on our website, which serves as a rich resource for clergy and their staff. You may browse the resources at: http://www.lifeissues.org/clergy/index.htm. If you have recommendations of resources we can add, please let us know by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Churches have the unique ability to minister to women and men who are suffering from the aftermath of abortion. The book, Is There Not a Cause? is a motivating and practical guide to effectively discuss abortion and offer spiritual healing to those in their congregations affected by this sin. You can read our review of this book in the current edition of Life Issues Connector. I highly recommend it. The book is available for purchase from www.saveone.org. Get them into the hands of your local pastors.
- Minority communities are disproportionately targeted by the abortion industry. As such, it’s extremely critical that the churches take a stand for life. Our new brochure, God’s Church, a Mighty Voice for Life specifically addresses concerns unique to minorities. It’s a user-friendly way to present both verifiable facts and spiritual affirmation.
Next to our salvation, the gift of life is God’s greatest gift to humanity and we’re called to defend and protect it. Too often, the voice of the church is intimidated or silenced by fears of controversy, judgment and politics. Planned Parenthood’s all too willing to take advantage of the opportunity and will use whatever means necessary to manipulate vulnerable young women into abortion chambers. The question is…will the church rise up with equal determination to aid these young women and give their babies a chance at life? The decision is ours to make.